French Broad Fiber Internet Service
French Broad EMC is answering the call to bring broadband service to Madison County at the speed of light! Technology is moving at a fast and furious pace, and French Broad EMC has implemented a fiber-based communication system across our electric grid to power utility solutions into the future. With this investment, we can use our existing fiber backbone to also provide a fiber-to-the-premise Internet service through French Broad Fiber. Our rural service territory will no longer be underserved now that we can provide an affordable and reliable high-speed solution. Due to the initial cost to build a fiber network to every home, our primary focus during the first phases of our implementation is to cover underserved and unserved areas with higher customer density. Once those phases are completed we hope to have enough recurring funds to begin building to the more rural areas of Madison County. Eventually we hope to offer service to most of our members in Madison County. Here is a map of the current areas we serve as well as our proposed areas in our next deployment. FBEMC also offers enterprise-level fiber solutions in Madison, Yancey and Mitchell counties so contact us for more information.
Why FB Fiber provides a better Internet!
Reliability: Fiber's main conductor is glass, which cannot generate electricity, so it is resistant to all sorts of interference and produces a connection of superior quality.
Speed: Fiber redefines the "high-speed, low latency" experience. Our standard Fast Fiber service offers speeds of 25Mbps down and 25Mbps up, which is roughly 100 times faster than traditional dial-up and more than 5 times faster than basic DSL or cable packages. Our 1Gbps GigaFast Fiber service is almost 3 times faster than our nearest competitor in the area. This isn't any high-speed platform; it's fiber-speed.
Support: French Broad Fiber is backed by the same quality of support you are used to receiving from French Broad Electric for your electric service. You will be billed on the same billing statement, you can call and talk to the same FBEMC support staff and our employees are all based in Marshall, NC so we take pride in supporting our friends, families and neighbors.
Check out how we compare to local providers in the chart below. There really is no comparison!
- 2/5/21 - Updates as of early February on the grants we received last year:
- The ReConnect grant for Spring Creek, Big Pine, Little Pine and Rector corner was awarded to us last year and we are eager to start construction. We completed all of the administrative work months ago and have been waiting on approval from the agency before we can begin construction. We hope it will be soon!
- We started mainline construction in December and anticipate all mainline fiber to be completed this summer for the ARC POWER Grant which covers Big Laurel and Unicoi. After the mainline is built in a particular area we will splice and test the fiber and then schedule home installations. This approach allows us to get service to you as fast as possible.
We were officially awarded the NC GREAT Grant for the Brush Creek and Sandy Mush areas in January. We are completing all of the administrative work now and plan to start construction in the next few months.
- 10/14/20 - Good News! French Broad EMC has received funding from Appalachian Regional Commission's POWER Initiative. We'll use this financial support to build our fiber optic network to the Big Laurel Community and our members in Unicoi County! For more information see our Facebook post.
- 10/1/20 - We have applied for a NC GREAT Grant to provide service to the Brush Creek and Sandy Mush areas. We should know by the end of the year if the grant is successful.
- 7/28/20 - As part of the CARES Act, FB Fiber has been awarded a USDA ReConnect Grant to provide Internet to the Spring Creek, Big Pine, Little Pine and Rector Corner areas! As part of this phase of our deployment we will be building almost 227 miles of new fiber line. We hope to begin building main line fiber later this year and, if all goes well, we hope to start installing service to the first few customers by early 2021. The orange area on the southwest side of the coverage map shows the area we plan to cover in this phase.
- 5/18/20 - We have started construction in the Beech Glen and Paint Fork areas. Check out our coverage map to see this new area we will begin serving later this year.
- 5/15/20 - We have started installing services in the Hwy 23 area today!
- 2/25/20 - FB Fiber is currently reapplying for the USDA ReConnect grant which would allow us to provide service to the Spring Creek, Big Pine, Little Pine and Rector Corner areas. We should know if we receive this grant by Winter of 2020.
- 2/25/20 - FB Fiber is currently applying for the ARC POWER grant which would allow us to provide service to the Big Laurel and Unicoi areas. We should know if we receive this grant by late Fall or early Winter of 2020.
- 2/10/20 - We have started construction in the Hwy. 23 area. Check out our coverage map to see this new area we will begin serving later this year.
- 2/3/20 - We have started installing service in the Shut In area today!
- 1/7/20 - We have started installing service in the Walnut area today!
- 12/12/19 - We have started installing service in the Petersburg area today!
- 7/2/19 - We will be installing service to our first customers in the Laurel area next week!
- 3/11/19 - We have started building fiber in the Laurel area and hope to begin installing service around mid-year.
- 12/28/18 - FB Fiber has been awarded a USDA Community Connect Grant to provide Internet to the Laurel community and its surrounding areas. We are conitnuing to pursue additional grant opportunities for other areas of our service territory.
- 12/20/18 - Check out our Winter 2018 newsletter. We emailed the newsletter to each of our fiber customers so if you did not receive one please contact us to make sure we have your current email address on file.
- 10/12/18 - FB Fiber now offers phone service to our existing Internet customers. All you have to do is request service and once we have provisioned it you just plug your phone into the Phone jack on the back of your wireless router. We can even port your existing phone number at no extra charge. The service will cost $15.00/month not including taxes and fees. The taxes and fees should be approximately $4.00/month. Please contact us if you would be interested in adding this affordable service to your account.
- 9/21/18 - We are currently building fiber in the Halewood, Cody Rd, Madison Hts area. We hope to begin installing service there in the near future. We are also pleased to announce the addition of Grapevine as our next possible area for expansion. If you live in the Grapevine area shaded in yellow on our coverage map and are interested in service please contact us.
- 9/14/18 - Check out our Summer 2018 newsletter. We emailed the newsletter to each of our fiber customers so if you did not receive one please contact us to make sure we have your current email address on file.
- 9/3/18 - Today we upgraded all of our FastFiber customers from 15Mbps to 25Mbps! We also upgraded our 150Mbps UltraFast customers to 1Gbps GigaFast! The best news about this upgrade is the bandwidth increase came at no additional cost to our customers. We hope everyone enjoys even faster fiber service for the same price and we are now the fastest Intenet service in Madison and Northern Buncombe County.
- 7/2/18 - We have received enough responses to move forward with our Oak Grove area deployment! We will begin building backbone fiber in the next few weeks in that area and hope to start connecting customers in the next 2-3 months if not sooner.
- 5/25/18 - We installed service to our first customer in the Grandview area today! We will be contacting those who have expressed an interest in our service over the next few months to schedule installation.
- 5/23/18 - Today we upgraded all of our FastFiber customers from 10Mbps to 15Mbps! We also upgraded our 100Mbps UltraFast customers to 150Mbps! The best news about this upgrade is the 50% bandwidth increase came at no additional cost to our customers. We hope everyone enjoys even faster fiber service for the same price and we look forward to adding additional bandwidth to both service levels later this year.
- 3/12/18 - We are moving forward with construction on our Grandview phase! Our crews have already started building main line fiber in the area. If the weather cooperates, we hope to begin installing service in the next 2-3 months. We continue to schedule installations in the Gabriels Creek phase and have already installed service to more than 25 customers in that area.
- 1/11/18 - We are continuing to complete installations in the Bull Creek area while also working on installing main line fiber in Gabriels Creek. If the weather continues to cooperate we hope to begin installations in the Gabriels Creek area sometime in March.
- 9/29/17 - We have received enough responses to move forward with our Gabriel's Creek area deployment! We will begin building backbone fiber in the next few months in that area and hope to start connecting customers in the next 4-6 months if not sooner.
- 8/29/17 - We installed service to our first customer in the Bull Creek area today! We will be contacting those who have expressed an interest in our service in the coming weeks to continue our phase 2 deployment throughout September and October.
- 7/31/17 - Construction on our main line fiber in the Bull Creek area continues while we await the shipment of additional fiber and hardware. We hope to begin installing service to customers in that area in the next 2-3 months.
- 6/9/17 - We have received enough responses to move forward with our Bull Creek area deployment! We will begin building backbone fiber next week in that area and hope to start connecting customers in the next 3-4 months.
- 5/30/17 - We are contacting customers in the Bull Creek area of Mars Hill to gauge interest in our service. If enough customers respond we will start phase two our deployment in that area.
- 5/1/17 - Our pilot program was a success so we are expanding near our pilot area and offering service in the Long Branch, North Long Branch, Tillery Branch and Windswept Ridge areas in Marshall.